Pediatric Dentistry in Littleton
We strive to provide care to the whole family including kids of all ages. We recommend children start getting used to the dentist early in life, as soon as the first tooth erupts, to help avoid any fears later on. This can be as simple as just letting us look in your young child’s mouth after the parent’s regular cleaning or having your older child in for an exam and cleaning. The ADA recommends having your child see the dentist by the age of 1 – and we at Southbridge believe that’s a great way to start your child on their way to a lifetime of optimal oral health.
Pediatric Dental Services in Littleton
We offer many pediatric dental services at Southbridge Dentistry:
- Dental exams and cleaning: We recommend bringing your child to our office every six months. This allows us to monitor your child’s oral health, and allows a dental hygienist to remove any tartar buildup that can lead to cavities and tooth decay.
- Fluoride treatment: Fluoride is applied to the surface of the tooth and helps harden tooth enamel, making teeth more resistant to acid. We recommend applying a fluoride varnish as soon as the first tooth erupts, and then at least another 3 times before the child reaches the age of 3.
- Sealants: typically done on young children to adolescents. Sealants are a preventative measure to help stop cavities from forming. A thin composite material is placed on the top surface of the tooth into the fissures to prevent bacteria and acid from pooling in high-risk areas. This procedure is very straightforward and no numbing agent is needed.
- Fillings: If your child’s tooth has a cavity, we remove it down to the healthy tooth structure, then fill it with a tooth-colored composite material.
- Wisdom teeth removal: by the late teen years, sometimes wisdom teeth or 3rd molars need to be removed. We perform a panoramic x-ray to determine if your teen needs them removed. Removing wisdom teeth in the teen years can avoid complications later in life.